|Horse gram (Kulthi) soup|
Horse gram: 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste: 2, 3 teaspoons
Peppercorn: 1 spoon
Cumin seeds: 1 spoon
Mustard seed: 1/2 spoon
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Coriander leaves: 1 or 2 sprigs
Salt: to taste
Oil: 2 teaspoons
- Soak the horse gramseeds overnight and pressure cook till soft.
- Drain the water and keep it aside for later use. (The water’s colour will be chocolatey)
- Grind the dry roast mustard, cumin and pepper seeds to a fine powder.
- Mash half of the cooked horse gram.
- Heat the oil in a pan and shallow fry the curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind paste, strained horse gram water, roasted powder, smashed horse gram, and salt.
- Add sufficient water and make sure the gravy is not too thick.
- Add the remaining horse gram and mix.
- Remove from flame.
- Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves over the gravy.
- Serve with chapatti or steamed rice and enjoy!
- Let us know how you find horse gram, and how your attempts to befriend it have gone!
Buy Horse gram seeds
This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment. If you or any other person has a medical concern, you should consult with your health care provider or seek other professional medical treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something that has read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.